Articulate temporarily closed its physical space on Monday 23 March 2020 when the physical-distancing requirements made it impossible to have projects even without openings or other events.
Articulate's physical program is planned to resume from July 2020 onwards, depending on COVID-19 requirements in place then. This 2020 program is listed on the right-hand side of this blog.
In the meantime, while Articulate's physical spaces are empty, we hope to populate the Articulate blog and social media with a different sort of activity in a project we are calling WHAT DO I SAY ABOUT THIS WORK NOW?
SEND YOUR REFLECTIONS
To do this we ask artists, art writers, curators and publishers to send documentation of one of your own spatial / temporal artworks or projects, with your reflections on how or why you made or did it that way then, for posting on the Articulate blog.
POST YOUR RESPONSES
We need somewhere to enable you to post your responses to other people's reflections, and this could be on the Articulate blog (via email or direct on comments), or self-published on Articulate's Facebook page or Instagram, whatever you have best access to. Or you and the artist could make a sound or video file of your discussion, upload it somewhere and send us a link to it. Or you may have a better idea.
WHAT TO SEND
If you would like your reflections posted on the Articulate blog, please email to email@example.com with WHAT DO I SAY in the email heading:
• documentation of one of your spatial artworks or projects, and
• what you want to say about this work now.
This could include how or why you decided to
- connect it to actual space, place, site, location, time etc
- be experimental, cross-disciplinary, performative etc,
- present and document it in the way you did.
Send a visual record that is:
• still photos and/or drawings/plans as jpg/png at max 1000 pixels on the long side, and preferably horizontal or square (and/or other form of documentation); or
• video short enough to be uploaded to the blog (20MB) in common video formats (.mp4, .mov), sound file or links to your video on You Tube/Vimeo etc.
Send your reflections as
• text / transcribed interview etc: max 1000 words (links can be made to longer text elsewhere),
• voice-over images (eg Quicktime recording of voice over powerpoint - instructions here) max 20MB,
• voice as sound file (.wav, .mp3, or other form that will upload to or embed in blogspot), and/or
• link to video or sound recording on You Tube/Vimeo
ARTICULATE WILL START THIS OFF
by posting artist-directors' own reflections with a zoom launch planned for Friday 1 May at 6pm. Invitations to this launch will be in the next mailchimp (subscribe here). Depending on response, posts will be made every 2 or 3 weeks. Please send yours asap.
Posts will be advertised by Articulate's normal publicity: mailchimp, FaceBook, Instagram etc, as well as zoom meetings in lieu of openings. To assist this please send at least one of your images sized as a square jpg/png for Instagram, and rectangular (horizontal) jpg/png for facebook and mailchimp.
Articulate will select reflections in the same way that it selects projects for its programs, and post them on this blog. Depending on response, we may group 3-4 short reflections that relate in some way. You are welcome to propose your own group, and send or arrange for all reflections to be sent together (with a composite horizontal image for mailchimp). Longer reflections may be better as single posts.
There is no charge to participate.