Articulate temporarily closed its physical space on Monday 23 March 2020 when the physical-distancing requirements made it impossible to have projects even without openings or other events.
Articulate's physical program is planned to resume from July 2020 onwards, subject to government requirements in place then. This 2020 program is listed on the right-hand side of this blog.
POST YOUR REFLECTIONS
In the meantime, while the Articulate spaces are empty, we hope to populate the Articulate blog with a different sort of activity in a project we are calling TRANSMISSION. To do this we are asking artists to send documentation of existing spatial/temporal artworks, accompanied by your reflections on how or why you made or did them that way. If you consider it important to the work, also say how/why they are documented, cross-disciplinary, experimental etc, as well as spatial/temporal. Art writers, curators and publishers are also welcome to participate with your own spatial/experimental etc projects. Reflections can be in text, transcriptions of interviews, recorded voice/interview, or other form.
POST YOUR RESPONSES
We need somewhere to enable you to post your responses, and this could be on the Articulate blog (via email or direct on comments), or self-published on Articulate's Face Book page or Instagram, whatever you have best access to. Or you and the artist could make a sound or video file of your discussion, upload it somewhere and send us a link to it. Or you may have a better idea.
WHAT TO SEND
If you would like your reflection posted on the Articulate blog, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• documentation of one of your spatial artworks, and
• discussion of its connection to its site/place/space/location/ etc and/or its documentation etc. (as explained above)
Send a visual record that is:
• still photos and/or drawings/plans as jpg/png at max 1000 pixels on the long side, and preferably horizontal or square (and/or other form of documentation); or
• video short enough to be uploaded to the blog (20MB) in common video formats (.mp4, .mov), sound file or links to your video on You Tube/Vimeo etc.
Send your reflections as
• text / transcribed interview etc: max 1000 words (links can be made to longer text elsewhere),
• voice-over images (eg Quicktime recording of voice over a powerpoint - instructions here) max 20MB,
• voice as sound file as .wav, .mp3, or other form that will upload to or embed in blogspot, and/or
• link to video or sound recording on You Tube/Vimeo
ARTICULATE WILL START THIS OFF
with artist-directors' own reflections to be posted soon, with a zoom launch planned for Friday 1 May at 6pm. Invitations to this launch will be in the next mailchimp (make sure you are subscribed). Depending on response, posts will be made every 2 or 3 weeks. Please send yours asap.
Posts will be advertised by Articulate's normal publicity: mailchimp, FaceBook, Instagram etc. To assist this please send at least one of your images sized as a square jpg/png for Instagram, and rectangular (horizontal) jpg/png for facebook and mailchimp.
Articulate will select reflections in the same way that it selects projects for its programs, and post them as a TRANSMISSION. Depending on response, we may group 3-4 short reflections that relate in some way. You are welcome to propose your own group, and send or arrange for all reflections to be sent together. Longer reflections may be better as single posts.
There is no charge to participate.